How do I change my UK driving licence for a Spanish one?

How do I change my UK driving licence for a Spanish one?

As has now been well publicized, the exchange of a UK driver's licence for a Spanish one can now proceed for those holding a TIE either under the Withdrawal Agreement or on a Visa. We asked Motorworld, in Las Chafiras in the south of Tenerife, for all the answers to your questions and to explain the process of the exchange, as for many people it seems very daunting.

Motorworld has over 20 years of experience and expertise dealing with Tráfico (DGT) and all the associated paperwork for driver-related issues, as well as car paperwork, and say they often find themselves challenged with sorting out problems that clients have had when attempting transactions alone, or via less experienced companies or people.

They hope to assist you with your driver’s licence exchange and have answered the most common questions we are being asked as follows:

Q: My licence has expired, can it still be exchanged?
A: Most licences do not expire until the holder reaches 70 years of age. However, the photo card part of the licence is only valid for 10 years and this is the part that may have expired.

Q: Can I exchange if my photo card licence has expired?
A: Yes, as the licence is still in date until the expiry date on the reverse of the licence, this will not be an issue as long as the licence can be verified.

Q: Do I need a medical?
A: Yes, anybody carrying out an exchange (CANJE) of a UK licence for a Spanish one MUST have a Certificado de Reconocimeinto Medico. The class or group of this medical is dependent on the categories the individual wishes to exchange.

Q: How much will I pay for a medical?
A: As an example, to exchange Category A (Motorbike) and B (Car) at the Centro de Reconocimeinto Medico Centre in Las Chafiras, costs 35.00 euros. Other centres charge slightly more.

Q: Do I need to go to Santa Cruz?
A: If you aim to carry out the exchange by yourself then yes, you will need to attend the Trafico office in Santa Cruz. However, if you use the services of Motorworld there is ABSOLUTELY NO NECESSITY for the client to go to Santa Cruz to the DGT office.
However, other people or companies doing this type of work may require that you attend the DGT office in Santa Cruz with them, but our aim is to make this process as simple as possible for the clients and cause them the least inconvenience possible.

Q: Can I exchange with my green residencia and my passport?
A: If you are a UK passport holder, NO. Tráfico will not accept a green Certificado de Registro for UK citizens, only for EU citizen/passport holders. Whilst we know there is no obligation currently to exchange a green Certificado de Registro for a TIE, Tráfico along with a vast amount of other official government offices will not accept this document for UK passport holders.

Q: I’m a non-resident I’m a tourist, can I still drive here on my UK licence?
A: Yes, there is no change for tourists you can use your UK photocard licence here without the need for an international licence.

Q: Can I use my Spanish licence in the UK?
A: Yes, as the agreement is reciprocal between the UK and Spain so both licences are valid in both countries on a tourist or non-resident basis.

Q: Do I have to exchange my UK licence for a Spanish one?
A: If you hold a TIE and wish to drive in Spain, including the Canary Islands, then yes you are obligated to exchange your UK licence for a Spanish one.
You are permitted to drive for six months from your start date on the TIE after that your licence isn’t accepted in Spain and you would be unable to drive, and will be penalised accordingly if found doing do.

Q: What documentation do I need?
A: You will need an in-date TIE, your passport, your current driver’s licence, a photograph, and a medical certificate.

Q: How can Motorworld help me?
We can help you with the exchange and this entire process amongst many other services we offer. Please contact us by any of the following methods and remember, NO APPOINTMENT IS NECESSARY.

Call into our offices: Calle Victoriano Toledo Rodriguez no 5, Las Chafiras, 38639 San Miguel de Abona.

Phone: 922 78 38 28 or mobile/WhatsApp 659 71 96 95.

E-mail: [email protected]

Office hours: Monday to Thursday 9.00am - 1.00pm and 2.00pm - 5.00pm, and Friday 9.00am - 1.00pm and 2.00pm - 4.00pm. We look forward to seeing you.