Switch on – or else!

CW front 806AS from tomorrow – Saturday 1st June – if you’re renting out or selling your property in Spain, including the Canary Islands, you have to provide an Energy Performance Certificate under Spanish Law, “Real Decreto 235/2013, de 5 de abril”.

And no, it’s not another obstacle the Spanish Government is introducing to hinder you renting out your property.

In actual fact, in the UK there has been an obligation in place since 01.10.08 for landlords/agents to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). In the UK, once obtained, a certificate remains valid for 10 years.

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is being introduced as part of the Kyoto Agreement, where countries are attempting to reduce their carbon footprint. The EPC is used to establish the efficiency of properties, in an effort to reduce unnecessary carbon emissions.

To obtain the EPC you need to contact a certified assessor. Your property will be scored by being given a grade, the best being ‘A’, reducing down to ‘G’;  ‘A’ being extremely efficient and ‘G’ being quite inefficient.

If you do make changes to your property, you can have it reassessed to gain a better score. As in the UK, the certificate is valid for 10 years. The information should be available on the Canarian Government website

Any property advertised for sale or rent via an agent, or privately, will need this certificate.

What are the costs involved?

Costs are going to be approximately 300 euros for an average property and, as is always the case, if you do not comply there will be a heavy fine.

What does this mean for property owners?

The majority of properties here have no heating and the only appliances are white goods and, of course, air conditioning, so there is very little to be concerned about. It’s not as if you’ll have to have a whole loft insulated!

Potential buyers

If you are currently looking for a property to purchase, then you will need to make sure that the EPC is presented to you with the score, along with the property details.

If it is not, then the contract may become void, and you may have grounds to claim compensation against the owner of the property and the estate agents.

Uncorroborated reports suggest that if you currently own your home but use it for less than four months a year, you will not need an EPC.

However, if you live in it permanently, you will need to make sure you get one, especially if you’re planning on selling at some time in the future.

What if I’m a landlord?

If you are a landlord and already renting out your property to a fixed tenant, then you do not need to have an EPC at the moment. However, if you change tenants, you will need to ensure that you have one.

If you do not get one and, thus, cannot show it to the new tenants, you again risk your contract becoming void; the new tenant could sue you and the letting agents for compensation; and the government could fine you.

Tenerife International Business Centre SL (TIBC) told Canarian Weekly: “The long and the short of it is that nobody is allowed to advertise/have a property for sale or for rent, unless he or she can provide the notary, purchaser or tenant with the certificate.

“We are in the process of setting this up for all our clients, and we will be contacting them shortly.”

The TIBC added: “If you decide to bury your head in the sand, contracts could become void, you could be sued for compensation and, at worse, receive a fine from 3,000-6,000 euros.

“Any clients who do not wish to have the certificate are advised that their property will be removed from all our advertising, as the law states that it is us, the agency, which will be fined heavily if we cannot provide the certificate for any property on our books.

Remember why you need the certificate: it’s because Spain have signed up to the Kyoto Protocol as part of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), the international treaty that sets binding obligations on industrialised countries to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases. The EPC is just one small part of this

TIBC has its own in-house architect available to assess properties. He is a certified technical architect, recognised by the Canarian Government, should you require assistance Tel: 922 730 210.






Short URL:

Posted by on May 31 2013. Filed under Local News, Home Page Featured. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google


Log in | Designed by SortedSites