VIEW WHOLE
NEWSPAPER
ONLINE

Terrorist planned an attack in Spain

A MOROCCAN man, arrested on suspicion of belonging to the ISIS terrorist group, is believed to have been planning an attack in Spain.

Police say the 21-year-old, who works as a ticket-seller for the Algeciras-Morocco ferry, had formed a cell in Algeciras with another suspect, who was arrested last year.

The pair, said police, were hoping to indoctrinate and recruit new members, while attempting to bring ISIS fighters into the country.

The unnamed suspect was picked up in Vitoria, in the Basque Country, where he worked in a ticket office next to a petrol station there during the summer.

An internet cafe in Algeciras, and two Vitoria homes were also raided in the police operation.

The man arrested was known for being part of radical jihadist circles in Algeciras, where he usually lives.

He soon became noticed when, more than a year ago on social media, he began defending the violent actions of groups like ISIS.

But locals had no idea of his violent inclinations and plans to facilitate mass murder.

One petrol-station worker said: “They seemed to be nice kids. They ate here, and we made them pizzas all the time.”

All the while, though, the suspect was holding secret meetings in Morocco, and online, to plot terrorist attacks in Spain.

He persuaded one individual to come to the country, “using illegal immigration networks” operating in the Strait of Gibraltar.

The target was promised he would be given the means, both economically and materials-wise, to carry out an attack, he landed in Spain.

But the convert was arrested in Morocco at the end of last year, before the plans could be hatched.

 

Short URL: http://www.canarianweekly.com/?p=42874

Posted by on Aug 10 2018. Filed under Local News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google

LATEST NEWS

Log in | Designed by SortedSites