VIEW WHOLE
NEWSPAPER
ONLINE

Man who delivered deadly lorry trailer facing death threats

 

A MAN charged with 39 counts of manslaughter, after migrants were found dead inside a lorry in Essex, has been warned that his life is in “serious” danger.

The sinister messages were received by Eamon Harrison and his family following the tragic discovery of dead Vietnamese men and women in the Waterglade Industrial Park, in Grays.

Last Friday, British police began extradition proceedings to bring the 22-year-old from Mayobridge in Co Down, Northern Ireland, to the UK, after he appeared before Dublin High Court on a European Arrest Warrant.

Mr Harrison is suspected of delivering the trailer, in which 39 migrants died, to the Belgian port of Zeebrugge.

Gardai and the Police Service of Northern Ireland are investigating the threats, and have warned him, formally, that his life is in “serious danger”.

Members of his family in Northern Ireland have also been informed that their lives are at risk, and a source told the Irish Mirror: “We are talking about serious death threats.

“This has been going on since the story broke, and it has now escalated since the first arrests were made. We are talking about a multi-million-euro, people-smuggling ring, so officers are taking these threats very seriously.

“Police are determined to smash this trafficking ring, and the crime bosses behind it are desperate to keep going what is a very lucrative industry for them.”

Mr Harrison is being extradited in relation to a warrant list of 41 charges: 39 of manslaughter, conspiracy to commit

human-trafficking, as well as conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration.

Ronan Hughes, 40, and his 34-year-old brother Christopher, who are involved in road haulage and shipping and are from Armagh, have been urged to hand themselves in.

Eight people were arrested in Vietnam on Monday, in connection with the case, reported Reuters, and post-mortem examinations are being carried out on the 39 victims, all believed to be from Vietnam.

Police have not yet identified any of the victims, publicly, but families have started receiving phone calls to give them the devastating news.

Previously, Essex Police Assistant Chief Constable Tim Smith said: “We are in direct contact with a number of families in Vietnam and the UK, and we believe we have identified families for some of the victims, whose journey ended in tragedy on our shores.”

He added: “This evidence is being gathered across a number of jurisdictions worldwide. As a result, we cannot yet announce the identity of any of the victims.”

Earlier, the Vietnam Government said members were “deeply saddened” to learn that the 39 migrants found dead in the back of a lorry are all believed to be its citizens, describing it as a “serious humanitarian tragedy”.

Lorry-driver Mo Robinson, 25, was arrested on the day the bodies were found. Robinson, of Craigavon, Northern Ireland, has already appeared at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court, charged with 39 counts of manslaughter, conspiracy to traffic people, conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration and money-laundering.

Three other people arrested in connection with the incident, two men, 38 and 46, along with woman, also 38, have been released on bail.

Police believe they have identified the man responsible for the smuggling effort, and a special task-force is searching for millionaire Vietnamese gang lord “Mr Truong”, who is thought to be the regional head of a global ring in Nghe An.

The investigation was prompted when 10 families from Nghen Town, Thien Loc, Vinh Loc and Thanh Loc contacted authorities to say they had lost contact with their loved ones.

 

Short URL: http://www.canarianweekly.com/?p=50677

Posted by on Nov 8 2019. Filed under World News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google

LATEST NEWS

Log in | Designed by SortedSites