VIEW WHOLE
NEWSPAPER
ONLINE

YASMIN Zamora, a 24-year-old student from Santa Cruz, who was hurt during the collapse of the floor in a Las Americas gay club, has given a graphic account of the incident.

Yasmin was among 40 people sent tumbling into the basement of the Butterfly Disco at 2.30am last Sunday, as the floor caved in, partially, from the stage end.

Yasmin, a trainee chef who is approaching the end of her course, was at the nightclub, in the Playa Shop commercial centre, Avenida Rafael Puig, with a group of friends.

The nightclub was in full swing, when a video of events shows a drag queen on stage, with a blonde wig and wearing a red dress and heels, trying to jump away as the floor collapses around him.

“It was just like something from the film, The Walking Dead,” said Yasmin. “It was chaos, and everyone was bleeding, with rubble and dust all over them.

“It happened so quickly, and I feel extremely lucky to have been given a second chance. But it really was horrible, and I will never forget it.

“We fell through like lead weights, and, when I opened my eyes, there was no light. A girl had fallen on top of me, and my friends were close by, shouting for each other.

“We were very disorientated, but, thankfully, we managed to get out after finding a padlocked door and kicking it down.”

She added: “We were shaken up, so we took a taxi straight away to Hospiten Sur, although there were ambulances on site for those with severe injuries.”

The 112 emergency service reported that an area of 43sq/ft gave way, and the people inside plummeted into the basement. An army of medics and ambulances was on site until 6am, ferrying the wounded to hospital.

In fact, nine of the injured people were still said to be in various Tenerife hospitals with bad bone fractures, as we went to press.

Yasmin had an injured leg treated at the hospital after the disaster, and, on Tuesday morning, she visited Candelaria Hospital’s A & E department, because her ribs were aching and her leg was still painful.

She has seen the images of the disaster, and is trying, desperately, to put it to the back of her mind. But she is still frightened to take the lift up to her home, in a fourth-floor apartment.

Meanwhile, Adeje Mayor Jose Miguel Rodriguez Fraga has remained in contact with councillors responsible for the areas affected, and with his technical team.

Adeje Council has also been in close contact with the consuls and embassies of those foreign nationals involved in the incident.

Help has been offered to all those affected, and the Mayor said: “For us, what is important is the health of the injured, and the safety of the building, and those structures alongside.”

Since the early hours of Monday, the Mayor has been gathering facts to ensure that the situation will not be repeated elsewhere in the borough. He has consulted building experts, including architects, to find out exactly why the floor fell in.

In addition, Rodriguez Fraga and Adeje’s Local Police Commissioner, Miguel Ángel Morales García, held a press conference the same morning to outline the actions being taken by the Council.

Rodriguez Fraga said: “At 2.30am on Sunday, we were advised by the local emergencies body, the CECOES, that there had been a partial collapse of the floor in a nightclub on Avenida Rafael Puig.

“We immediately activated all the necessary resources to deal with this kind of emergency: Local Police, professional and volunteer fire brigades, and the National Police.

“Thankfully, there has been no loss of life, for which we are grateful, given the seriousness of the situation. But 22 people were treated for injuries on the spot, and, subsequently, transferred to  Hospital Quiron and Hospiten Sur.

“In the end, the number of those injured had risen to 40, with some also making their own way to hospital. The injuries range from serious to minor, and the information we have is that no individual is in a critical state.”

Later that morning, Adeje Council called in building expert Juan Diego Mayordomo to assess the structural damages. And, with the Mayor and a technical team, they visited the nightclub’s basement.

Following an initial examination, they reported that the situation wasn’t a simple matter. They said they were also aware that many people would be anxious about returning to work in the area.

But the Mayor, who stressed that the safety of everyone was of prime importance, visited nearby businesses and spoke, first-hand, with workers affected by the current closures.

While Rodriguez Fraga said that it was important the commercial zone suffered the least possible damage, financially, he added: “Decisions that need to be taken, will be taken without pressure.

“We have to work prudently and make the right decisions, in line with the advice given by the experts.”

 

 

Short URL: http://www.canarianweekly.com/?p=38991

Posted by on Dec 1 2017. Filed under Local News, Home Page Featured. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google

LATEST NEWS

Log in | Designed by SortedSites