Two children seriously injured after gas explosion
Two minors age 5 and 8 years old have suffered second-degree burns of a serious nature after a gas explosion occurred in a house in Puerto del Rosario, in Fuerteventura.
The event occurred last night, at around 00:10 am, when the operating room of 1-1-2 received an alert in which it was reported that two minors were being transferred to the hospital in a private vehicle after an explosion.
A neighbour of the two children started to transfer the victims to the hospital in her car as due to the poor phone signal in the area they were unable to contact the emergency services immediately.
2 ambulances intercepted this vehicle and assisted a total of four people, two adults with minor burns and two minors. Once stabilized, the two minors were transferred by ambulance to the island's hospital. Subsequently, one of them, the youngest of 5 years old, was transferred by medical helicopter to the Hospital Universitario Materno Infantil de Gran Canaria.
The gas explosion was caused when one of the adults changed the gas cylinder in the house; which caused a gas leak that ignited and created a fireball. Young men from a nearby house broke down the door and took out the two children and two adults.
The neighbourhood has once again addressed the issue regarding the lack of phone coverage in this area, the neighbourhood association Los Pajeritos meets today with the councillor for the region in search of solutions to the lack of this service. It has been highlighted how dangerous it can be where emergency service cannot be contacted in several areas of the coast in Fuerteventura as in recent months there have been several drownings and car accidents where it was not possible to contact 112.