VIEW WHOLE
NEWSPAPER
ONLINE

Microwave joker is real head-case

A PRANKSTER on YouTube has been criticised for “cementing” his head in a microwave, at a cost of £650 to a fire service for releasing him.

Jay Swingler put his head in a plastic bag, inside the microwave, before friends poured seven bags of Polyfilla inside, which trapped him rapidly.

After trying, unsuccessfully, to free him for 90 minutes, his pals called an ambulance crew to a Wolverhampton address in Fordhouses.

But paramedics were unable to help, so West Midlands Fire Service was contacted, resulting in a rescue operation which tied up five fire-fighters for almost an hour.

The rescue crew said Jay’s life was in danger because he could have suffocated. And the 22-year-old  tweeted that he was “very lucky to be alive” and had been left “traumatised”.

But many of his YouTube fans were unsympathetic, suggesting he should apologise and cover the cost of his rescue.

One wrote: “You should count yourself lucky and think twice about whether you’re ever going to put your life at risk again.

“What frustrates me the most is that the time paramedics have spent with you may have affected someone’s else survival.”

Another tweeter wrote: “Do the right thing and give West Midlands Fire Service the money.”

In a video, Jay said he was “in need, and would have died without the fire-fighters”.

And he admitted “I should be fined for the stunt, just like the people who get into drunken fights, and I’m more than happy to donate my money to the people who helped me.”

West Midlands Fire Service was “seriously unimpressed” with the stunt, and station commander Simon Woodward said: “We pride ourselves on our five-minute attendance standard.

“It means that if we have an incident in which there’s a life at risk, our appliances will be there within five minutes, and that gives us our best chance of saving that life.

“But if we’re attending incidents that are YouTube videos, where we have people who’ve been irresponsible, those crews are unable to attend the life-risk incidents.”

The Fire Service chief added: “The service charge for that would be £650, but we are not going to charge because his life was in danger.

“But what I’d like to do is remind people not to put their lives at risk… for the sake of other people’s entertainment.”

Short URL: http://www.canarianweekly.com/?p=39166

Posted by on Dec 15 2017. Filed under World News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google

LATEST NEWS

Log in | Designed by SortedSites